October 3, 2019
by Naren Arulrajah, Ekwa Marketing
Our love of video is much older than the internet. From the first motion pictures and reel-based home movies to VHS, DVD, and beyond – people have been obsessed with video for generations. The popularity of this media format is much older than the internet, and it isn’t likely to fade anytime soon.
Video marketing is not a fad or a trend. It is here to stay and is an essential part of a good dental marketing plan. But you are a dentist, not a videographer or movie producer. The idea of creating videos for your website or social media might sound intimidating. Thankfully, it is much easier than you think. Here is what you need to know.
You can take pro quality videos with your smartphone.
You don’t have to invest in an expensive high-end camera or any camera at all. Today, most smartphones and tablets can take excellent quality videos. Here are a few tips for producing professional quality videos:
• Test your device. Although most phones take great videos, there are a few exceptions, especially for old devices. Don’t forget to test audio quality as well as image resolution. If you aren’t happy with the result, talk to your staff. It shouldn’t be difficult to find someone in your office who has a good quality camera.
• Use the rear-facing camera. If you are making an explainer video or something similar, you might just be sitting at your desk talking. The front-facing (selfie) camera is convenient in these situations, but it nearly always has a lower resolution.
• Use a tripod or stand when appropriate. As a dentist, you know very well how much people move when they are trying to hold still. If the camera shouldn’t move (such as in the example above), try to find a stable place to locate it. An inexpensive tripod or a phone case that converts to a stand will do the trick. You can probably even find something in your office to prop it on.
• Choose landscape mode. Your mobile device probably has the option of filming in landscape or portrait mode. The standard HD TV resolution is 16:9, and the pros create videos to accommodate. Therefore, landscape generally looks more professional. It also displays better in full screen mode on a computer, and it is ideal for video headers and other common website elements.
• Get the lighting right. Nothing can ruin a great smartphone video as easily as a dark room or glaring light that obscures the scene. Take a few seconds of video and replay them to see if everything is clear. If not, adjust lighting as needed before shooting your full video.
Not every video needs editing
First, you need to decide if your video should be edited. Sometimes a “raw” video is best. For example, if you are filming your office holiday party, you want it to appear authentic, personal, and spontaneous. In this case, it’s best to use a complete, uncut video.
When you intend to use an unedited video, you will want to do some advance planning. Decide what you will film, check the lighting, and plan your path if you will be walking around. Scope out your surroundings to see if there is anyone or anything that shouldn’t be included. You don’t want any scenes that need to be cut out. Additionally, live video is extremely popular right now, and it doesn’t give you an opportunity for do-overs.
However, if you are filming an office tour to include on the homepage of your website, you might want it to appear professional and polished. In this case, you might want to hire a video editor to put it all together. For videos that will be edited, don’t worry about missteps of extra footage. The more your editor has to work with, the better.
While smartphones have excellent cameras, their built-in video editing tools (if any) are far from professional quality. Someone in your office might have video editing skills, or your marketing firm may offer this service. If necessary, many companies and skilled individuals offer affordable video editing services.
Videos can take your website to the next level
Hopefully, you already have a good website. Adding engaging videos in the right places can turn it into a great website.
• Office tour – Many high-end dental practices are heavily invested in advanced technology, tasteful office décor, amenities, comfortable furniture, and other features that make a great first impression on new patients. An office tour video lets that ambiance work its magic on potential leads, helping convert them to patients. These videos are often found on “about us” pages, or even home pages of dental websites.
• Meet the team – People don’t want to trust their oral health to strangers. That is why nearly every dental website includes photos and bios of the doctors, and sometimes of other staff members. These and other personal touches let visitors feel like they are getting to know the team. You can take this to another level by replacing static images with videos or using both.
• Patient education – The best dental websites are not simply practice advertisements; they are informational resources. However, you don’t want your website to feel like a dull, dry textbook. Today’s internet users are accustomed to immersive, multi-media content. Most, if not all, text articles should be accompanied by some kind of image, but don’t limit yourself to simple photos. Mix in some infographics, interactive features, and of course videos.
• Testimonials – Online reviews are the modern “word of mouth” marketing. Genuine patient testimonials are one of the most powerful tools for lead conversion, and they become infinitely more powerful in video format. This is especially true in cosmetic cases, where the viewer can see the beautiful result of your work. Of course, when using any form of patient testimonials or images, be mindful of HIPAA compliance (most importantly, have written consent from the patient before publishing.)
Don’t be intimidated by the idea of video marketing for your dental practice. All you need to get started is a smartphone and a few minutes of time.
About The Author
Naren Arulrajah, President and CEO of Ekwa Marketing, has been a leader in medical marketing for over a decade. Ekwa provides comprehensive marketing solutions for busy dentists, with a team of more than 180 full time professionals, providing web design, hosting, content creation, social media, reputation management, SEO, and more. If you’re looking for ways to boost your marketing results, call 855-598-3320 for a free strategy session with Naren.
RELATED ARTICLE: Dental Practice Internet Marketing Strategies, Boost It Up!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
read more >>