August 31, 2016
by The Telegram
Three maxillofacial dental surgeons in the province have opted out of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Medical Care Program, leaving the province looking for other options for low-income patients.
Health Minister John Haggie told reporters today at Confederation Building the surgeons gave notice to his department that as of the first of August, they would no longer take MCP patients.
“Since then we’ve worked with Eastern Health and the RHAs (Regional Health Authorities) to put in place plans for emergency treatment and we’re also working with the community of dentists to put in place referrals,” Haggie said. “… We are exploring several initiatives.”
The minister said the issue is about “elective surgeries, planned jaw surgeries,” and how those might be performed.
To view the full story, please visit: http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2016-08-31/article-4629441/Maxillofacial-dental-surgeons-opt-out-of-MCP/1