4 November 2009, Geneva, SWITZERLAND – The 2009 FDI Annual World Dental Congress was held in Singapore, at the Suntec International Convention and Exhibition Centre from 2 to 5 September. The FDI World Dental Federation was delighted to work with the Singapore Dental Association for this global congress, with the additional support of the Singapore Tourism Board and the Singapore Convention & Exhibition Bureau. Singaporean authorities showed their support during the traditional Welcome Ceremony, where Mr Khaw Boon Wan, Minister for Health of Singapore, officially welcomed participants to Singapore and the congress.
- Nearly 7,000 participants, representing 119 countries, attended the 2009 FDI Annual World Dental Congress. In addition to the significant presence of attendees from Singapore and neighbouring countries, Malaysia and Indonesia, there were large groups from Australia, Canada, India, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
- 234 companies from 30 countries exhibited at the World Dental Exhibition, with a significant international showing: 90% of total exhibitors were international representatives.
- 3,978 square metres of exhibition space was occupied in total.
- An average of 220 delegates from around the world attended General Assembly proceedings.
- Three new and seven revised FDI Policy Statements were adopted by the General Assembly.
- Two FDI Council seats and ten Committee seats were filled during the 2009 elections, including the President-Elect.
- Seven applications for membership were accepted by General Assembly.
- Dr Roberto Vianna assumed the role of FDI President: Past-President, Dr Burton Conrod, passed the presidential chain to Dr Vianna in a symbolic change of presidency during the colourful Welcome Ceremony that featured roller-skating flag bearers and an artistic interpretation of Singapore’s history through music and dance.
- The four-day Scientific Programme, entitled “Advancing Dentistry at the Crossroads of the World”, featured 64 scientific sessions facilitated by more than 100 speakers.
- 90 scientific posters were on display at the congress and 43 free communications were presented.
- The six winners of the 2009 FDI/Unilever Poster Award Competition were announced at a ceremony hosted by the two organising associations in Singapore on 3 September.
- FDI officials joined the authors of “The Oral Health Atlas” for the official release of this new oral health resource at the FDI Pavillion.
- The FDI World Dental Federation and Unilever Oral Care celebrated five years of Live.Learn.Laugh (LLL), a public-private partnership with a mission to improve oral health around the world.
- Winners of the 2009 FDI & Wrigley Photographic Award were announced.
- The FDI announced the relocation of its global headquarters to Geneva, Switzerland.
Images from the 2009 FDI Annual World Dental Congress
Click here to view a selection of high-resolution images of the Congress centre and registration area, World Dental Exhibition, General Assembly, Welcome Ceremony and other photos related to the stories mentioned in this press release.
A complete version of this Post-Congress Summary can be found at the FDI World Dental Federation website.