Oral Health Group


April 5, 2020
by dentalcorp

The below frequently asked questions are a helpful resource to share with team members looking for guidance on best practices in the current situation.

1. When should I stay home?

All Canadians are asked to practice social distancing and self-isolation when required. Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call your primary care provider or public health agency hotline in advance. Follow the directions of your local health authority.

Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on the situation in your area. Calling in advance will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also protect you and help prevent spread of viruses and other infections.

2. What should we do to prepare for COVID-19?

Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19. Follow advice given by your healthcare provider, your national and local public health authority or your employer on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19. We have provided a list of useful resources here with hyperlinks to help you find the best information.

Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on whether COVID-19 is spreading in your area, whether travel restrictions are recommended and if it is required to avoid large gatherings. National and provincial health authorities are best placed to advise on what people in your area should be doing or not doing to protect themselves.

3. A staff member is travelling outside of Canada-are there any precautions to take?

All travellers should be aware that there are health risks when you travel. All provinces are requiring people to self-isolate upon returning to Canada.

4. If a staff member is returning from a vacation outside of Canada, would they need to self-isolate at home when they return?

Canada Public Health is advising a mandatory 14-day self isolation.

If you develop symptoms of COVID-19, isolate yourself at home as quickly as possible and call your appropriate public health authority immediately.

5. What is the difference between self-isolation and self-monitoring?

There is a difference between advice to self-isolate and advice to self-monitor.

a. Self-isolation means, in essence, staying home and avoiding contact with others as much as possible. You should self-isolate if:

  • you have been diagnosed with COVID-19
  • a public health authority has informed you that you were in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19
  • your provincial public health authority requires it as a result of your travel or another general policy

b. If you have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 or identified as being in close contact with someone with COVID-19, you may be asked to self-monitor. This means: “monitor yourself for symptoms of respiratory illness such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing.” If symptoms develop you should:

  • stay home
  • limit contact with others
  • contact local public health, and follow their instructions

6. What is the proper signage to be putting up in reception?

You should have patient screening, hand hygiene, and cough etiquette signs visible at the front desk and front entrance. Copies are available on the dentalcorp COVID-19 resources site. In addition, more specific COVID-19 signage is available from the provincial dental regulatory authorities.

To access the full FAQ document and more helpful resources, visit dentalcorp.ca/covid-19resources

Print this page


Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *