By Dr. George Freedman founder and past president of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, a co-founder of the Canadian Academy for Esthetic Dentistry and a Diplomate of the American Board of Aesthetic Dentistry. His most recent textbook, “Contemporary Esthetic Dentistry is published by Elsevier. He is the author or co-author of 12 textbooks, more than 700 dental articles, and numerous webinars and CDs and is a Team Member of REALITY. He lectures internationally on dental esthetics, adhesion, desensitization, composites, impression materials and porcelain veneers. A Diplomate of the American Board of Aesthetic Dentistry and a graduate of McGill University in Montreal, Dr. Freedman maintains a private practice limited to Esthetic Dentistry in Toronto, Canada.
1. The patient has rather deep pocketing on the lower right bicuspids. Standard SRP is completed.
2. The Periowave Photodisinfection System is used to eliminate remaining bacteria in the periodontal pockets without antibiotics.
3. The Periowave photosensitizing liquid is applied to the target areas.
4. The cool, 670nm light wand is used to activate the photosensitizing liquid.
5. The wand is inserted into the pockets without touching the attachment to eliminate bacteria. The illumination takes 60 seconds.
6. The remaining photosensitizing liquid is rinsed from the teeth.
7. The patient is instructed to continue routine home care and will be re-evaluated in 3 months.